Thursday, March 3, 2011

Spoken-Last Chance to Breathe


I must admit before I start this review that I'm a little biased towards this band, as we all are when it comes to our favorites(you could probably tell from the autographed picture), but I think a lot of you would like this album.

Last Chance to Breathe is post-hardcore/alternative rock band Spoken's fifth studio album. It is in my opinion, the band's best work thus far. It was released August 30, 2005 by Tooth and Nail Records, well known for bands such as Underoath, Demon Hunter, Emery, The Almost, Thousand Foot Krutch, and POD.

The album incorporates a fantastic use of guitar, that paired with the clean vocals and occasional screams makes the album flow amazingly well. There is one track that seems somewhat out of place, a cover of "Time After Time" ,but other than that I think the tracks on the album go very well together.

Lead vocalist Matt Baird has really outdone himself with the lyrics this time. He digs deep and successfully conveys God's love in a non "in your face" kind of way.

My favorite track on the album is "September" I'd even venture to say it is my favorite song of all time. It starts out with heavy guitar and background screams, then moves into clean vocals, and back and forth. The transition is seamless.

The album also features the song "Bitter Taste" in which Cory Putman of Norma Jean does guest vocals. It's a quick paced song, and is the heaviest on the album. I like the heaviness of the screams.

Overall I would give this album a rating of 9/10. It is definitely worth a listen.

1 comment: